Sunday, July 29, 2007

MNSCS #6 Muddy River Rock & Roll

Matts Race

Deja Vu!

I lined up to the start for what I knew was going to be a very long race. Based on my lap time from the pre-ride the day before, I figured I would be on the course for near 3 hours. With that thought in mind, my game plan would be to conserve my energy and try to maintain consistent lap times over the duration of the race.

At the line I was in the second row in a fairly small group of expert riders due to the 24 hours of 9 mile and various midsummer vacations. By my standards I had a fairly good start maintaining a reasonable pace around the open field. Fortunately, I was able to pass by a few riders on the left as it ducked into the first section of single track. I settled into a good pace through the first tight section, but was passed by a couple of riders when it opened up into the double track again. In general I was riding fairly fast, but I was expending a great deal of energy maintaining the pace set on the first part of lap 1. I got hung up on "stairway" and was forced to walk the bike up the last half, losing valuable time. To make up some ground, I pushed it hard down through the quarry and unfortunately hit a sharp rock very hard that put a hole large enough that the stans was unable to seal it. I was forced to wait while the entire field Comp and Expert made it down through the quarry before heading back up. It took about 15 to 20 minutes to walk back to the pit and that entire time I was having a battle with myself on whether I should continue with the race or throw in the proverbial towel. I asked Andrea what I should do and she pointed out that I have never quit a race. I grabbed the wheel off my hard tail (probably not legal by the rules) and headed out to resume my first lap. It took me nearly 5 minutes to ride back to the downhill leading into the quarry. I probably would have been better off to walk the remainder of lap instead of backtracking. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes right?

By the end of the first lap I felt like the race should have been over. My legs were tired, I was already starting to feel dehydrated, and I couldn't get my HR up to where I would like. I think the 2+ hour pre ride late the day before had something to do it. I missed my water bottle hand-off from Andrea on the start of lap 2 and had about a half bottle to finish the lap. I knew the leaders were close behind so I tried to ride as smooth and fast as possible to stay out in front for as long as possible. I was making good time through the single track, but the double track rises were really starting to fatigue the legs. As I came in to start my third lap I pulled over to grab a new bottle of water from Andrea and drank a bunch of here Acceleraid.

Jesrin and Jay caught me near the end of my third lap (their fourth). Jesrin was pushing hard on the double track and I didn't even attempt to hold his wheel. A little while later Jay passed me and I was able to hang with him for a little while before he flew up the Stairway to Heaven and was gone.

The hardest part of the race was going out for one more lap when the leaders had already finished. The goal at this point was to just finish the race and I did so in a little over 3:30 over 1 hour behind the leader obviously in last place.

Race Results

Andreas Race

Jordans Race

After being away at camp for the past week and not riding her bike since the last race, Jordan turned in another great performance.

She got a great jump off the line and maintained a good pace around the double track lead out section. She did a great job in the "washing machine" which is a series of side hill turns on opposite sides of a half pipe shaped ravine. Her race had a fair amount of double track ski trail which is not one of her strengths, but she says she loves it.

After her first lap she was in third position (for the women) just slightly ahead of Sophia Marchiando and Micole Hendricks closing the gap. She looked fairly fresh and she had a determined look on her face, but I could see a slight smile when I cheered her on.

She rode the "washing machine" clean on lap two and motored up the exiting climb. I would not see her again until near the end of her second and final lap. She must have rode the second lap fairly clean because her lap time was nearly the same as the first lap and she came through the line in third place with a time of 1:04:38 only 1:42 ahead of Micole.

Race Results

No comments: