Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Time to Get Back on Track With my Training

Ever since the race in Tucson and subsequent vacation, Everything feels slightly off. I have been trying to get back on track with my training, but things always seem to come up to derail my efforts.

During the first part of my new training plan I could see dramatic changes with each ride and each week built nicely on the previous one. I found it fairly easy to stay motivated, probably because I had a race in February and didn't want to disappoint my teammates. After the race, however, there was a big let down. The first race of the MNSCS race series was still nearly 3 months away and there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. The vacation the week following the race didn't help either. I ate too much food (gained 4 pounds) and did less structured riding. To make matters worse, when I got home I had a turn right around and leave for a work conference for three days.

The training for the past few weeks has been adequate at best, but I feel I effectively maintained my fitness. It is now time to get back on track. This week needs to be turning point and mentally I must be ready for it.

Last week was the first week of the Build 1 phase of training (higher intensity: power and anaerobic work) and it went fairly well with a few notable exceptions (See Matt's Training). This week is week two of Build 1 and is basically a mirror of week one. The main goal is to layout good obtainable plans and be ready mentally and physically to achieve them. Early in the season it was possible go into a workout less than 100% and still complete it. At this point, however, it is extremely important to be 100% ready (mentally and physically) for each and every workout.

I will update later this week on how the workouts progress.*

No comments: