Monday, March 26, 2007

Good Weekend of Riding for Both of Us

Thanks to the weather we both had a good weekend of riding. In general our weekends are very busy and trying to fit in 11 hours of riding combined between Andrea and I make even more difficult. On the bright side the kids are now old enough that they don't need constant supervision and can run around the neighborhood without causing too many problems, they just get on their bikes and ride or play in the yard.

Andrea went out for a set of hard pyramid intervals Friday night because she had a work conference to go to all day on Saturday. The conditions were absolutely perfect highs near 70 and little to no wind. She said the intervals went really well, but is still somewhat concerned that her HR was not high enough. I think we need to possibly reevaluate what her Max HR and LT are during this weeks testing. Overall I am not too concerned because she can put down strong intervals near VO2 Max and her power is very good.

Saturday I put down my best anaerobic intervals of the season thus far completing five 4 minute intervals at 22.5 22.7 mph (indoors on trainer). The intervals lasted a little over an hour with the 4 minute recovery periods. The remainder of the 2:30 ride was at a steady endurance pace a little of 18 mph. The legs were fairly tired by the end of the ride, which is fine because next week is a rest and recovery week.

Andrea was eager to ride again Sunday afternoon and I laid out a route that took her from Hutchinson west on 7, then north on 22 to Litchfield, back east on 12 to Dassel, then back south on 15 back to Hutch. The round trip is just short of 50 mi and she completed it in 2:58 averaging 16.6 mph (on the mountain bike) at an E2 pace (145 Ave HR). Awesome Andrea, keep up the great work!! Her fitness is the best it has ever been and I am sure she will do very well in the sport class this year.

For my ride (indoors on trainer) I was just trying to survive. The legs were dead from yesterday hard workout and I was interrupted a couple of times by the kids (I almost decided to stop the second time). I was however able to complete 2.5 hours at an average speed of 18.2 mph. Not too bad, now for some rest and recovery. Oh yeah and maybe start hitting the weights a little as well.

No comments: