Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Nice weather! I can hardly wait

I know that it is only March, but I can hardly wait for the snow to go away and the trails to dry up. The knobbies on the new Fisher Rig have never seen dirt and are itching to be pushed through some twisty single track. This year I hope to get out on the trails much more than last year, hopefully the move back to the cities will happen sooner than later.

Last night Devon and I worked on his bike to get it set up to handle the single track trails better. He has a Redline mini racing BMX bike that is very light (16+ lbs) but it is geared really tall 37x14 and has 1 1/8" racing tires on it. We changed out the tires to 1 3/8" knobbies, added a 16t rear cog, and replaced the chain to accommodate the larger cog. After the upgrades he took it out for a trial. I was surprised that with the lower gearing he didn't loose any top speed, but gained a great deal of acceleration. The new tires added some stability without sacrificing much rolling resistance and will be much better in the dirt. He is going to tear it up on the beginner section at Lebanon Hills.

Wyatt also got out for a ride and is sporting a new helmet. With the way he rides I am sure it will get used.

Training is going well, but I have a touch of a sore throat and I hope it doesn't turn into something bigger.

No comments: