Saturday, June 23, 2007

MNSCS #4 Preride

We got a fairly early start to Mt. DuLac today heading out slightly after our 9:00 AM target time. It always seems to take at least 15 min extra to get all the kids in the car and buckled in. Four hours, and two stops, later we arrived around 1:30 PM. The conditions were beautiful, but a little on the warm side.

Taylor and I would head out first and Andrea and Jordan after, all the while Devon and Wyatt kamikaze down the hills behind the chalet. Taylor and I started up the hill leading towards the start of the Kids Comp (and Citizen) race. Part way up the hill, Taylor gave up and I had to push both bikes up to the start. As we made the right hand turn towards the initial climb Taylor was starting to have second thoughts about the race and was unwilling to pedal any further. We did manage to make it to the top of the hill by me pushing both bikes up the last steep section. When we reached the top and proceeded to the first downhill section, Taylor took one look at the rocky downhill and said, "NO WAY". I had to agree with her. It was not that the section was that difficult, but for an 8 year old that is just starting to gain confidence it was not something either of us thought she should try. She felt really bad, but I assured her that everything was fine and we would give it a try when she is a little older and ready for it. She will have fun in the kids race. We turned around and road back down the hill and she did a good job handling the tricky grass downhill.

Once at the bottom, I explained to Andrea what had happened and everything was just fine. My calves felt slightly cramped from pushing both bikes up the hill and I hadn't even gone out for my pre ride yet. Not to mention that I am nursing a good summer cold that has left me without a voice for the past couple days. I have been told to use the neck rule. That is if the symptoms are from the neck down you should rest, but if they are from the neck up you should be good to go. Well, most of my symptoms are fairly close to my neck so I will give it a try. I have all ready pre-registered anyway so why not. That being said, I put my bike in the lowest gearing and lazily spun up the first climb. I think it took almost 6 minutes, but at least I didn't waste all my energy for tomorrow. The rest of the ride went fairly well and I was primarily trying to memorize the turns and features of the course. Either they have changed a large portion of the trail or my memory is very fuzzy. The long blazing downhill from years past has been replaced with a great flowing section that weaves back and forth across the previous section. There were a few soft sections, but nothing too bad.

The key for me tomorrow will be to conserve my energy for will be a fairly hot and long race. It will help that the majority of the single track is under canopy, but the climbs are out in the open. Tomorrows race is scheduled for 5 laps and hopefully I with be able to hold 25 minute laps making the overall race time around 2:15.

I think I will grab a little snack and try to get a good nights sleep; tomorrow I will need all the help I can get.

No comments: