Tuesday, July 01, 2008

MNSCS #4 Bluff Riders Charge at Mt Kato

The weekend started out with The Hendrick's, Ray, Ray's mom (Rosie), Kevin and Kristie and Us all meeting at our house Saturday morning to cara"van" down to Mankato (3 vans all in a line). We arrived at Mt. Kato about noon for a preride. The weather at this point was great. Matt took Devon out for a preride and Jordan, Micole and I all went out together and the other guys went out as a group. Many of us went out for a second lap for good measure and then we enjoyed some lunch. The trail was a little dusty so we all thought a little rain would be nice.

Another beautiful race day! Although we were all a little worried when it started raining Saturday afternoon and didn't stop until sometime Sunday early morning. We said "a little rain!" The course ended up being fine with just a couple sketchy sections.

The day started with Taylor telling us 15 minutes before the Kids Comp race that she was going to race today, so we let her.



Devon and Taylor and Matt (who was riding with Devon for encouragement) were lined up for the Kids Comp race to start when I realized the camera was still in the car, I booked as fast as I could (I had 30 seconds to get there and back) grabbed the camera and got there just in time to take pictures of the start. The kids did great!! By the top of the first climb Devon had passed Taylor. Taylor was not happy in fact I think her words to Devon were "What are you doing you freak?" Where Matt responded "if you ever act like that again or call someone a name your race will be over and you will be done for the day" Where Taylor responded "What? He is a freak!" Matt and Devon ignored her and went on their merry way! Both Devon and Taylor looked good out there and they both came back with smiles on there faces.





Next it was Jordan's turn! They sent the waves off differently this time the 1st wave was 30+ everyone and the second wave was 29 and under everyone, so it was hard for her to gage during the race where she stood. She had a great race she rode smooth and finished 2nd overall for the ladies out of 6. She finished 24 out 53 for all the citizen riders.

I was next! I went out prior to my race and got a good 20+ minute warm-up in, I went down the road and found another dirt road that had a couple hills I went up that a couple times and felt great. During my preride I drank my entire water bottle, which probably helped me during my race, no side cramps this race at all. After my preride I went back to our area and ate a small powerbar and relaxed for a bit before my race started. About 5 minutes before we were to start lining up I got back on my bike and tooled around a bit to get my legs back into racing mode. Next it was go time! As we took off from the starting line I booked as fast as I could, because I know at Mt. Kato if you don't get in a good position before the climb starts it can be a little difficult to pass because of huge ruts and holes on the sides of the track. On the climb I was sitting in 4th place, by the time we reached the top of the hill I was in 3rd place. I was in a good spot and I wanted to keep the leaders in my sight, so I sat back in at a good pace and just rode smooth. I kept the 2 ladies in my sights and then in the "gets tight" section one of them faltered. She went off the trail a bit, was ok, and just about to get back on her bike as I passed her. At this point I had just one lady in front of me. I kept her in my sights the rest of the 1st lap and then on the second lap in the same place where the other lady faltered she too went down, although I didn't pass her I did catch up and I was right on her back wheel. There was a couple times I fell back because of small shifting errors or other bobbles but I stayed with her. Then at the end of the lap right after the luge we were on our last leg of singletrack and I was right on her back wheel, if there would have been a place to pass I could have easily passed her at this point, but I probably would have gone down the embankment. So I thought to my self as soon as it breaks out in the open I will kick it into high gear and pass her, but she did the same. I tried as hard as I could to pass her but it just was not going to happen. Margaret finished at 1:15:34.3 and I finished at 1:15:34.7 just .4 seconds back from the lead. I was exstactic! It was my best race ever! I raced smooth, I didn't run low on energy, my hill climbs were improving, and I felt great - no cramps in my sides or in my knees. Now I just need to remember everything I did so I can repeat the performance!



Matt's race was last! (I'll let him write about his race)

Thanks to Wannabee Racing for some of the great pictures!! We really appreciate them.

1 comment:

Chris Van Ert said...

Congrats (about 3 weeks after the fact) on the great finish.