Monday, June 09, 2008

Live and Learn!

Note to self: After a long couple of weeks ending in a move to our new house followed by a week of little sleep, poor nutrition, and a complete absence of time on the bike... DO NOT RIDE THE SINGLE SPEED, especially at AFTON.

OK, I am done making excuses. I will say that dropping out of a race for non mechanical reasons doesn't sit well with me and this is the first time I have done so. I will use this feeling to be better prepared for the next race at Mt. DuLac.

I knew it was going to be a long day when I started to feel a little dizzy before the race. The first lap started out fairly controlled and although the leaders got a fairly good jump they weren't that far ahead before the pill up leading the first section of single track. I managed to get by 4 or 5 riders on the low side before ducking into the single track. I managed to muscle the single up the rubber tread on the bridge loop but had to dismount on the step switchbacks leading into shady lane. I soon found out that I neither had the gearing nor the legs to handle the steep climbs out at Afton. I found myself using so much effort to simple keep the legs turning over that by the end of lap one I felt like I had rode a complete race. I stopped near the water tent after lap one to grab a hand off from Andrea and contemplated my choices. I decided to push on for one more lap and see how I felt. Although I didn't feel any worse on lap two, I also didn't feel any better. I was walking most of the steeper climbs which helped the legs out a little, but I could feel them starting to cramp up when I would stand and climb. After lap two I decided to shut it down and watch the "true" experts finish.

Great job to all those who pushed on and raced a long race.

Andrea, also had bummer luck by flatting only 15 minutes into the race. Since I haven't had time to apply the Stan's to her tires yet and she didn't carry a tube and pump meant she was out for the day. She is really bummed because Afton is one of her favorite courses. Crazy nut!

On a brighter note Jordan had a very good race easily finishing first overall for the citizen women. She made the comment after the race that the race was too short, finishing up with a time a little over 54 minutes. Despite the slick conditions she keep the bike upright the entire race and finished strong.

2 comments:

Chris Van Ert said...

When I saw you at the start with the singlespeed, I thought you were insane. At least you gave it a go.

Horner Family said...

If it wasn't for the uphills I would have been fine. The bike absolutely flys on the rocky downhills. The geary will be making the trip to Mt Du Lac.