Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Matt has told you his part. Now I'll tell you mine!

The part of this experience that Matt has not told you is the time in which he was unconscious. It was about 5 am on that Saturday morning and Matt was saying his side hurt, so I gave him some ibuprofen and he took that and almost immediately he slumped back towards me. I got out of his way and he began this really loud deep snoring, which I had never heard before. (Now he has fainted before but this was totally different.) I was yelling his name with no response. I quickly ran downstairs and grabbed the cordless phone and a big bowl (he usually throws-up when he comes around after fainting). I ran back upstairs flipped on the light and by this time our 2 girls were awake and in our room. Matt's eyes were wide open and he was still snoring, then all of the sudden he stopped snoring and his whole body went limp. I screamed his name and listened for breath sounds and heard nothing. I lifted his body slightly and he was like a rag doll. I called 911 and I was frantic. The lady on the phone had the nerve to tell me to calm down. Although, when she asked how old he was and I said 33 she said "what?" I said 33 and I could hear the fear in her voice. About 1 1/2 or so after he had stopped snoring he finally took a huge breath and then started the snoring again. He was still at this point unresponsive to me. He went back and forth between the snoring and the not breathing 2-3 more times, before he finally came too. He wanted to immediately get up and I told him not to move a muscle and that the ambulance was on the way. A short time after he woke up the paramedics arrived and started to look him over and ask questions. They took him in after they were sure he was okay to be moved. I left the kids at home with my cell number and instructions and I headed to the hospital. As Matt has said they did a bunch of tests that came back negative (thank goodness) and sent him home, with instructions to come back on Monday. I was a little worried considering there were 2 more night we needed to go through before we could be re seen on Monday. Luckily, both nights went by with no further episodes and we found out on Monday that we had pneumonia. I am not sure the correlation between the fainting/seizure/who know what and pneumonia, but we are hoping they were related and that it never happens again.

No comments: