Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Family is Getting Good!

Last weekend was full of riding for the entire family. Andrea and I hit Hillside Saturday and Monday morning early and we brought the entire family to Lebanon Hills Monday afternoon. I get so much enjoyment from watching them progress in the sport I absolutely love.
Andrea has made huge improvements since last year and she now has the confidence to attack any condition. She easily handles obstacles and sections she previously thought un-ridable. Subsequently, her lap times took a considerable drop since last year and continue to steadily decline. For example, last year at Hillside her best lap time was around 1:07. This year she started in the high 50s and has worked it down to a little over 51 minutes. She will soon be turning sub 50 min laps and I can see her getting down near 45 by the end of the season.
The kids are also having a blast. I road with my oldest daughter @ Lebanon Hills on Monday and we did the intermediate loop in a little over 32 minutes. I was amazed at her ability to pick clean lines through the rock gardens, and react instantly to changes in the trail. She executed the technical sections cleaner than I did. Taylor, Devon, and Wyatt had a great time on the beginner loop while Andrea and I watched in amazement. Taylor was all smiles as she weaved through the twisty single track and I could tell she really like the bridges. Devon loves his new "Proline mini" and with the skinny tires and light weight he flies through the trails. Finally, Wyatt (age 4) was able to ride the entire loop with no help from mom or dad. It was awesome watching him navigate through the trails on his tiny bike, even small roots are gigantic to 16" wheels. He even passed one guy who was walking his bike as he entered the beginner trail from the intermediate loop. My wife told me that the guy said, "Sure now I get passed by a 6 year old." She did not have the heart to tell him that he was only 4. I think he completed 5 laps, each time no help from us.
We can only imagine how good these kids will become as they get older. Our only goal is to allow them to love the sport as their "own". Yes, we are proud parents.

No comments: